Galley sinks fitted to the worktop

Very pleased we have managed to fit the undermount sinks to the worktop. Bit of a race to get all the bolts on before the sealant set, fortunately it is January in North Wales so things don’t set very quickly.

Currently we have rails on 3 sides of each sink. There isn’t space between them for the same so just going to have one bridge piece to fully lock them in place.

Time for a coffee first though!

More playing with my toys

I’ve never had a real workshop, but currently we have a garage accessible from the house where with a big of moving stuff around I can have a reasonable workspace.

So tonight my meeting was very short (Scout Group Executive Committee) so I decided to make some more progress on the sink supports (I started them earlier today see Routing sink supports).

Therefore I got to use my Table Saw (one of the sink supports was 2mm too wide for the gap between the sink and the worktop support).

Plus my Sliding Mitre saw because the two end sink supports were too long.

Plus my drill press to make the bolt holes in the sink supports (needed to be very accurate as very tight for space).

Fun 😁

Then I had my first go with the Bio-epoxy to coat them. Now drying in the garage with 2 fan heaters to keep it at 25°C

I’m not that impressed with the dosing pumps that we got for the epoxy. Not a brilliant fit on the bottles and not priming very consistently. So particularly the first squirt doesn’t seem very accurate (and the proportion of hardener to resin is very important). So will have to see if it cures ok.

Routing sink supports

I’ve had a router for years, probably decades, but hardly ever used it. Certainly not a confident user. However, this afternoon a small success.

Yesterday I used a gap in the storm to get FSC certified wood from B&Q (collected by cargobike).

This afternoon, I found time to turn the larger piece into 5 brackets to support the undermount sinks. Not very pretty but we will coat them with epoxy so we don’t have to worry about the wood getting damp or wet.

Then brackets will be through bolted to the worktop (countersunk heads on the worktop top which will be hidden below the epoxy surface). They will trap the edge of the sinks to the underside of the worktop holding them much more securely than the rather pathetic brackets that came with the sinks.

Obviously the sinks will have sealant between the lip and the worktop but I’ll also use sealant to even out my, not brilliant, routing (which won’t be visible anyway).

Might even be able to fit the worktop on Saturday 😊

Sustainable Sailing ideas becoming more mainstream

This Yachting World article is heading in the right direction. Skippers’ tips: Bluewater sailing secrets of the million milers revealed

Some key items such as reduced plastic and renewable energy get mentioned.

I’m still desperate for them to connect the dots between all those parts and skills needed for diesel engines with the fossil fuel usage and advocate dumping diesel power completely. For 25kg you could carry a complete spare electric motor that it would be straightforward to swap into use at sea. With some spare solar panels you could make slow progress after really major gear failures. Plus all those hours finding fuel, paying for it, cleaning it, cleaning filters, changing oil, fixing water pumps, maintaining seacocks, worrying about fires etc.

Also no mention of sewage from toilets and grey water going into fragile coastal habitats. Yet again the simple, low maintenance option of composting toilets with no plumbing and no dumping at sea is ignored.

Good but the options now available should make sailing around the world far less costly to the planet, to our pockets and to our time.

Now is the time to switch to really Sustainable Sailing!

Anti-fouling progress

In the post “Towards getting afloat, from home” I wrote about the challenges finding an anti-fouling paint that isn’t toxic. A few years ago there was a big switch to using copper to deter marine growth, however, the negative impact on marine life was largely ignored.

As I mentioned in that post, finding alternatives is tricky. The best known Seacoat Sea-Speed V10X isn’t available anywhere near Vida (needs spraying on ideally professionally) .

However, I’ve found another option Seajet 038 Taisho, it came out well in a Practical Boat Owner test in 2016 when it was announced but not released. Again finding suppliers is hard, so far only one selling online to the UK (and then only upto 2.5L tins in either white or black). So I’ve emailed the UK distributor as they don’t even list the product at all 😦

First estimate is that we need about 7.5 litres and we think that that dark grey would look best on Vida.

Still open to suggestions.

Update (13th Jan)

I got a reply from the UK Seajet Distributor that 038 Taisho isn’t available “due to a component of the Antifoul not being registered in the UK.”

Found another alternative from a Jimmy Green Marine email: Hempel EcoPower Cruise I don’t have any details on how effective or eco it is (just says no biocides).

Starting the New Year with galley progress

The key bits of galley framing and the worktop edges and underside were dry by this morning (doing epoxy work outside at the end of December is definitely a bit extreme).

So we have got to the point of dry fitted worktop and sinks.

Sadly it is very obvious that the supplied little metal brackets are entirely inadequate for the weight of granite resin sink (let alone in a boat that crashes around and where someone could fall against the sink). So will take them home and create something far more substantial.

Still the pictures give a sense of what it will look like.