A few weeks ago I fixed my old (well over 20 years), but fairly powerful drill. I’d shortened the power cord a couple of times but the outer insulation was failing all over the place. Sadly, my first multi-cutter motor had burnt out (it has suffered a lot when I was removing the diesel fuel tanks) so I used that cable to renew the drill 🙂
Also I’ve been frustrated for about a year by a broken drill press. The platform on which the item to be drilled rests had snapped off.
I’ve been looking for a replacement for ages, but with no luck. Then when ordering something else (to reinforce our very creaky stairs at home) I found I could buy some large section angle iron “100mm x 75mm x 8mm Mild Steel Angle Iron Hot Rolled” from Metals4U to a custom length, so 180mm cost me £7.87 (plus a small share share of £6 delivery).
I’ve made some progress on fitting it.
The trickiest bit was cutting away around the hole so that it fits on the flange, anyway the dremmel did it, even if a bit messy.
The grinder is currently at the boat, once I get that I can cut away parts of the platform and bolt it onto the angle iron. Going to be very useful to have this fixed for some of the projects coming up.
One thought on “The satisfaction of mending tools”