Dyneema boat cradle supports

Today we have added the diagonal supports to our boat cradle to stop any chance of the new legs bending sideways towards the narrower part of the hull.

We have used 6mm dyneema with locking brummel eye splices lined with stainless thimbles.

Coarse length adjustment is with a 2.5mm dyneema lashing. Fine adjustment uses the original turnbuckles from the mizzen mast.

Jane did the 8 eye splices in about 3 hours.

Battery box progress

Jane is cleaning the battery box (I’ve just sanded it) so ready for final bits of fibreglass tape and thickened epoxy filler. Then coating all the wood with epoxy to seal it before painting.

After that we add some battery restraints and ready for the wiring plus watertight seals around the lid.

All the lids for the lower batteries and the floors above the upper batteries have been epoxy coated one side this morning, hoping to coat the other side later.

Progress update

We have had a lovely day. We arrived at the boat about midnight so quite a late night by the time we had carried everything to and then onto the boat, plus made the bed. Therefore we had a nice lie in.
Then some jobs planning before gently starting work. We started by removing the anchor windlass as we have finishing work to do later around the old anchor locker.

Then as it was dry we went back to the battery box in the bilge. Although this is an inside job it is easier in dry & warm weather as it is so disruptive. Lots of stuff has to be moved, the floor taken up and the companionway steps have to be continually removed and then put back.

We are going to see some of these jobs reaching completion over the next months – although we will be switching between various jobs according to weather, length of visit, and supplies.

So over the coming months, we are going to be working on:

  • Battery box
  • Deep bilge and Aquadrive thrust bulkhead
  • Anchor locker, windlass base, staysail chainplate, chain chute
  • Getting the mizzen mast up
  • Knees to tie down the deck where the main mast chainplates are
  • Cabin sole (the floor)
  • New carbon fibre stanchions

But we might also switch around to other jobs if it feels appropriate.

Getting this list done unlocks many more such as fitting the main the solar panels, finishing the galley, getting the electric motor fitted …

Preparations for carbon fibre stanchions

Today we have removed 8 stanchions and their bases (timing due to someone else wanting the bases for their boat). Clearly been a source of leaks.
We have drilled each bolt hole and countersunk from above and below. Now filling hourglass shape with slightly thickened epoxy.
The places where the diagonal braces for the gate were attached by 2 screws had 4 holes so filling these too.
We have kept the starboard gate stanchions for the moment as they make it much easier to get on and off the ladder.
Preparing for new carbon fiber stanchions (see old “Tula’s Endless Summer” video below for technique)