We now have both the worktop extension and the forward bulkhead dry fitted.
Absolutely delighted with the extra space in the galley. Makes it much more practical for living aboard.
For us the compromise in reduced seating is well worth it. The whole starboard seating might change now. The probably can be more comfortable with just a straight settee that is wider with a sloping back. Plus it would make a more comfortable sea berth. We will just have to sort out how to turn it into a guest double bed.
If you can’t fit it in a Nissan Leaf you won’t be able to fit it through the main hatch 😢
We cut the new galley bulkhead roughly to size thinking that it would just fit in the car. It didn’t. So we put it on the roof rack. That meant a maximum speed of 50mph and about a 15% reduction in range. So we made it to the half way charge point with only 8 miles left (only 85% charge when we left home). Then when we got to the boat we couldn’t fit the bulkhead through the main companionway. So the hassle of the roof rack was a total waste of time.
Therefore the top tip is to only bring timber to the boat if it fits in the car (although it still might not fit through the hatch).
I’ve got the extra galley worktop and the extra galley bulkhead cut from a full sheet of 18mm ply. Hopefully small enough to fit in the car.
Also started sanding the companion way steps and preparing the French cleats.
These are pretty much the only solid timber on board. So hoping to keep these fairly natural colour. Will use penetrating epoxy with a stain and then varnish. Should give good protection for this very high wear part. All other timber is going to be painted apart from small trim.
Two weekends ago we sold our Citroën van. Last weekend we collected our new car, a 2016 Nissan Leaf electric car.
Tonight, after an evening work meeting, we will go on an adventure in it to the boat.
I fully charged it overnight (normally we are only charging to 80% for longer battery life). This morning it showed a range of 100 miles at 100%. It is 98 miles to the boat.
There are about 8 charge points from 60 to 92 miles on the way, but according to Zap Map the reliability of them isn’t brilliant.
What we don’t yet know is how that range will shrink when driving at a steady speed on motorway & dual carriageway in temperatures of about 4° C. It isn’t far to the M56 and is then nearly 80 miles to the first roundabout. I think we will set the cruise control to 60mph (except where the speed limit reduces to 50mph) and see how we go.
Two sections of 50mph speed limit in Wales are for pollution control. Shouldn’t we get an exemption?
Will be our first use of both public and fast charging, so quite an adventure, in a winter night. Should get there between 12.30pm and 1am all being well.
Our latest video has been getting some really helpful comments on YouTube as well as directly. It has also helped us to reach a new milestone 🙂
It definitely seems worth exploring more. Particularly to consider some of practicalities that people have raised including:
Is the sheer strength of the Stainless Steel bolts sufficient? Potentially, the load on the bolt could be reduced by attaching the plates for the dyneema eyes with epoxy. Or they could be replaced by carbon fibre tubes epoxied into place.
Is dirt going to get in the dyneema and damage it? Could the solid shield protecting from chafe also stop water washing dirt in? Would a soft sleeve such as we plan for our chainplate loops help?
Will the water flow damage the Dyneema? Much the same issue as with dirt above.
Might there be resonance issues with the lashing (apparently might be more of a problem with more loops of thinner lashing).
Will the wider stance affect sheeting angles? Depends very much on the rig. It might allow a cutter rig to be sheeted inside the shrouds.
Should we use a standard thimble or low friction ring, potentially with a solid infill to avoid a point load from the bolt? We were trying to avoid metal in the water and keep the cost down but this might well be a good solution.
More thinking about whether to have a separate cover to keep the dyneema on and to provide chafe protection, possibly so that the cover can be removed without affecting the chafe protection for inspection or replacement.
We are planning a similar design for attaching a Jordan Series Drogue (JSD), potentially better than our previous idea.
Anyway, thank for the support on YouTube, it is encouraging and YouTube responds by sharing the videos more.
We arrived yesterday evening and are here for a couple of nights. It is very cold! Snow in Manchester before we came, snow visible on the Snowdonia range. So, too cold to do any epoxy work. Fortunately, the two panel heaters and two fan heaters can keep the cabin nice and warm.
Instead of working on the starboard backing plates for our main mast dyneema chainplates , we have recorded video footage describing our latest idea for external dyneema chainplates. Could be a great option for lots of older boats who are switching to dyneema rigging and want to avoid expensive fittings or who are concerned about their metal chainplates.
We also recorded progress on redesigning the bilge under our saloon for battery storage, water tank and for the first time some thinking about lightening protection. That involved taking the main companionway steps down, wasn’t as bad as I feared. We now have our batteries stored much better in approximately the right place.
We have also done some more detailed planning for the galley stowage and space for the fridge.
The weather is expected to be wet, windy and cold in the morning so we have some jobs planning work on everything in the motor room.
Coming up next week will be big news about our transport for getting to and from the boatyard.