I’ve just upgraded to the latest version of Ubuntu namely 21.10 Impish Indri. As always a simple, automatic and fast process that gives me new versions of nearly all the software I use, all for free.
I think I’ve been using Ubuntu for around 15 years, in that time I’ve had new versions every 6 months, and it has continued to get better and better. Not yet sure what all the updates are in this version (clearly new versions of LibreOffice and FireFox are among them).
One of the more recent changes in Linux, that Ubuntu supports, is new ways of packaging software so that they run on lots of versions of Linux without needing to be prepared and packaged by each Linux distribution (such as Ubuntu).
So, I’d switched from using the Ubuntu packaged version of Kdenlive (our video editor) to one installed with SNAP. Now I’ve switched to a version installed by FLATPAK as that is more directly supported by the project. So now I have a version of Kdenlive that was released 9 days ago.
The new version of Kdenlive now has working (for me) subtitles with speech to text. I’ve just run it on our first Low Footprint video and it is very accurate. Not going to need much work to give us full subtitles (captions on YouTube). That is a very nice improvement.
This is what we found in our wheelhouse when we arrived just after dark today.
There were also quite a lot in the cabin but these were mostly dead and so easy to vaccum up.
Fortunately we came prepared. Flypapers, electric swatter, and vacuum cleaner. So we have cleared away nearly all of them (I think I can see only about 3 or 4 flying around the cabin at the moment).
We assume they are hatching in the wheelhouse support tubes, ideal breeding grounds?. It does tend to move updating the wheelhouse up our priority list, although really we want to wait for nice Spring weather for a job like that. Maybe we can just put some sealant in the ends to see if that reduces the problem?
One of the challenges we face by trying to sustainably pace ourselves is that a job like fitting the new bow roller takes quite a few visits to the boat. However, we think the process of filling from the new backing plate to deck level using scraps of FR4 with thickened epoxy is a little novel.
This is an area that just need to be strong in compression (sandwiched between the backing plate and the bow roller). FR4 is ideal here as we will never need to worry about water ingress through the bolt hole causing rot. It is a lot quicker (and better in compression) than building up with layers of fibreglass. We don’t need to worry about cosmetics as this part is going to be completely buried. Nor do we need to worry about a smooth finish on top as it will be covered by a larger FR4 board that will be bedded with more thickened epoxy. This board will also include raised bases for the forward pulpit feet to keep them drier.
Later we will create the curve at the aft end with a small wood batten and then the whole lot will be encased in fibreglass cloth to fully tie it to the bulwarks and give us a surface to fair up before painting.
Today was beautiful weather and we were able to get the last coat of paint on both masts (at least for the moment) m
We are not in a rush now to get the masts up. There is nothing to be gained by putting them up in the boatyard for the winter.
We still have a lot to do anyway in terms of chainplates, fittings on the masts, dyneema standing rigging, wiring, lights, wind sensor, aerials, running rigging. None of this will be improved by 6 months of autumn, winter and spring outside in the boatyard.
So most of these jobs can wait until the couple of months before we launch. Until then we can do a lot of preparation (such as mast tangs and splicing) plus ordering everything we will need.
Today has been less certain when it comes to rain than we had hoped.
However, this morning we sanded the masts with 400 grit, then washed and dried them.
In the end we waited until 3pm for painting in the hope of more certainty about it staying dry.
This time rollers are not recommended (or at least need to be followed by a brush). So we went for brushes only.
We changed the way of supporting the masts so that they are “balanced” on the sail track with as few points of contact as possible. We then painted everything else. When it comes to the 2nd coat we will rotate them 180 degrees and so the areas where they are supported will all get one coat. This avoids a long wait between painting sides and reduced the chances of resting the mast on bits that are not fully cured.
One tin is supposed to be enough, it certainly didn’t feel that it would go far enough as we were painting the main mast, but in fact it was plenty for both masts (we are going to get extra paint for the spreaders and mizzen boom all of which we can do in the garage at home).
Despite the name of the International Paint we are not expecting Perfection in terms of finish 🙂 However, they should be good from a distance and certainly better than they were before we started. Of most importance to us is that we have dealt with all the corrosion and should have a well protected mast for years to come (we can work on any small areas where there are problems over coming years to ensure that the protection lasts).
Should be another part of the boat that will outlast us 🙂 That has to be good for sustainability 🙂